Tue 02 Aug 05, 10:05 • RSIAfter November’s devastating windstorm, the High Tatras forests face another natural disaster, a major forest fire outbreak near the settlement of Tatranska Polianka on Saturday. According to estimates already about 250 hectares of forest fell victim to the fire. It is believed to be the biggest blaze in the High Tatras over the last 50 years. Fire-fighters have been fighting by air and land. Despite heavy rain on Sunday evening, the fire has not been fully extinguished. Nevertheless, thanks to the rain Slovakia will not appeal for international help.
The fire in the High Tatras area has been contained in the eastern and southern part of Slovakia's tallest mountain range. "There is no immediate danger for the residents of the immediate Vysoke Tatry area," said Milan Baran, head of the state District Office in Poprad, east Slovakia. However, flames keep burning in the western and northern parts and the upper woodlands. According to Baran, the most serious situation was with a fire 30-40 metres away from a petrol station in Novy Smokovec. After a ban on entering the whole of the High Tatras forest lands issued by the Agriculture Minister last week, the alpine footpaths have now reopened.
If necessary, the Defence Ministry is ready to send troops to assist in handling the current fires in the High Tatras. “In the case of an extreme situation, troops would be helpful in evacuating people. But it's up to the decision of the crisis staff," Milan Varga of the ministry's press department said. A helicopter from the Presov military base has been assisting in the area since Saturday.
|
|
![[Slovensko.com - Your Guide to Slovakia]](/ima/slogo_1.gif)
|