Slovakia Monday, 27 May 2013 20:09 in Bratislava
HomeAbout SlovakiaVisitors' CornerAccommodationFeedback
News from Slovakia
National Economy
International Culture
Regional Sports


Regional News from Slovakia
Minister Malcharek says Autosalon motor show improving in quality
International 'Autosalon' show opens in Bratislava
Strong winds and wintry weather to continue
Police still unable to find murderer(s) of Daniel Tupy
Two dead swans found near Sturovo
Snow calamity hits Slovakia
About 3,000 attend second police protest in Bratislava
Paid Mountain Rescue Service as of July 1 for hikers and climbers
New bridge over Morava river will be world rarity
Year after the catastrophe in the High Tatras – a lot has been done
more news...

 

Fire devastes Tatras


Wed 03 Aug 05, 09:54    RSI

The forest fire in the High Tatras that has destroyed 230 hectares of woodland is now under control, although smouldering patches are constantly appearing on the site of the fire, the head of the Poprad district crisis staff Milan Baran said on Tuesday. Air monitoring on Tuesday revealed eight such patches, but the situation is constantly changing. "We are already working on communication networks,” the leader of the operation Miroslav Kanaš said. ”This means we will deliver water to the highest possible locations in the mountains to be able to liquidate fire with sufficient amount of water and of course with enough people,” he added.

There have been 90 fire-fighters operating in the field since Tuesday morning. These have been assisted by 80 forest workers. According to Agriculture Minister Zsolt Simon, fire-fighters have become the heroes of the past days. “I would like to thank every single fire-man. They put their own lives at risk,” said the Minister.

The fire started on Saturday at noon in the risky territory which had been destroyed during the calamity in November. Due to strong wing and hot weather, it spread fast to the surrounding area. The head of the Poprad district crisis staff Milan Baran pointed out that in spite of the extent of the fire, the hot weather and wind conditions, there have been no casualties and the fire has not affected any buildings. A helicopter will be used to supply air-rescue teams and fire-fighters deployed on the northern side of the burnt area. Tourist paths in the affected area remain closed, as most of the smouldering patches are on the northern part of the route leading to the main road. Part of the Tatras will remain sealed off for the time being. In case of any inquiries regarding the tourist information it is possible to look up the web page of the Mountain Rescue Service www.hzs.sk.

  [Slovensko.com - Your Guide to Slovakia]
Copyright © 1998-2012 Slovensko.com, Slovakia Network